Sunday, February 8, 2009

Living the Dream

Just before we all go to vote...

Why I am voting for HaBayit Hayehudi

(Note: I am not officially affiliated with any party.)

I am usually not outspoken even on issues close to my heart. I respect
other people's opinions and understand that there may be more than one
legitimate point of view. At the same time the following post really
does come from the bottom of my heart. Sometimes the perceived gap between
my own point of view and the black hole into which we seems to be
gravitating mandates that I at least voice my own opinion. I don't even know if anyone will actually read this (before the elections), but I feel a need to get some
things off my chest.

I have a dream.
Since making Aliyah (with my family) in my early teens I have been educated primarily in Religious Zionist institutions. I feel strongly connected to this land, love the people in it and believe that if necessary (which I hope will not be) would give my life to build and protect it.
As a proud believing Jew I can not imagine not taking an active part in a process that has even a remote chance of being a stage in the Geulah.

Disillusionment and Disengagement.
The last few years have been quite difficult. It is easy to brush off the grievances and say (possibly even correctly) that just because the bad things happen doesn't mean we change our beliefs or our strategy. But something feels wrong. Our secular partners are not with us. Sometimes it seems that they downright hate us (at the very least they are scared stiff of us). How can we create a lasting and productive partnership with them?

Becoming part of a secular party to tactically succeed in achieving our nationalistic goals does not seem to me to be the answer. My dream is not the American Dream. It is not even the
dream of Yosef. It is so much more. Achieving positions of power and
even ensuring the continued welfare of the Religious Zionist
infrastructure is only a technicality. If this becomes our measure of success I'm afraid we are aiming too low.


On the personal level I admire the individuals who are poised to be Mekadesh Shem Shamayim through their work from inside the various secular parties. However, on the broader national level the these parties are not anywhere near holding up the flag of Torah and Ahavat Yisrael. There is no great Kidush Hashem in us joining them for practical materialistic purposes.

Isn't it better to collect the cream of our crop, our best and our finest role models, present them for all to see and say this is what a group of Torah Jews, Lovers of Medinat Yisrael, bringing Torah into the modern world, look like.

Join us!

That is my dream. It may be too early, I may be naive. There is however something curious about us
dreamers. We are not quick to give up. The bleaker things look the harder we will work to turn the dream into reality.

The wheels are in motion. We shall make this
happen. When it does, I shall be proud to have been a part of it from the beginning.

ברוך הוא א-לקינו שבראנו לכבודו והבדילנו מן הטועים ונתן לנו תורת אמת וחיי עולם נטע בתוכינו

2 comments:

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Having been here for a while, it's apparent to me that while there one can "live the dream" of life in Eretz Yisrael, one must be extremely pragmatic about politics in Israel which are far from clean.

Just ask Yaakov Amidror about Bayit Hayehudi....

Shimon said...

If I were to be totally pragmatic I would already be packing my bags...